Friday, December 16, 2016

Small victories!

We got home last night about 11:30. Kara was tired (I estimate she had been traveling a about 36 hours by the time we got home) and she was scared. All of this was expected, we plucked her from everything she knew and brought her to an unfamiliar place, with people she didn't know who speak a language she doesn't understand! Uff, I'd be scared too!!

It's been a difficult transition (as expected), so tonight we are celebrating the small victories!
1. She got some sleep today, she took a great nap and I think felt refreshed when she awoke.
2. We took her to the Chinese restaurant in town and she ate her first meal. She doesn't like my Chinese cooking apparently ;)
3. She understands my Mandarin! Yes, those lessons paid off. I wish I knew more, but at least I know some.
4. With some help from a great friend we connected with the local Chinese restaurant owner and she has agreed to accompany with us on our eye exam and physical next week. This is HUGE, she is so scared and having someone that can explain these things to her will be so helpful. She was also able to explain tonight that we care for her and that it is important for her to try and have fun with us.

I think we are all exhausted, but as we go to sleep we are thankful for small victories and know that with each small victory we are moving towards a more positive and memorable experience.

Here is a picture of when we first met and a picture of us after dinner tonight!!




No comments:

Post a Comment